Secure Payment Link | 404.445.0028

CONTACT US TODAY AT 404.445.0028

One Alliance Center
3500 Lenox Rd NE
Suite 820
Atlanta, GA 30326

Click Here to Request an Appointment

facebook-icon  google-plus  linkedin  twitter

 Child Custody Law Issues in Georgia

During a separation and after a divorce or child custody case, it’s often not a surprise that the custodial parent chooses to move away from the area where he or she once shared a home with the noncustodial parent.  Most people presume that a custodial parent is allowed to relocate with the child or children.  In 2003, the Georgia case Bodne v. Bodne ruled that trial courts will no longer presume that the relocating custodial parent automatically has a right to retain custody of the minor child. The Georgia Supreme Court essentially decided that the trial court must make custodial determinations based on the best interests of the child standard.

Child Support and Child Custody Law Issues - Hire S. Dixon Law Offices in Buckhead Atlanta

If you are a custodial parent and you want to relocate, you must give notice of the move to the noncustodial parent.  The noncustodial parent may file a petition for modification of child custody. Whether you are the custodial or noncustodial parent, it is important to seek the assistance of a knowledgeable family law attorney.  In some relocation cases, the parties may agree to modify the existing parenting plan.  However, in more contested cases, a judge may decide to change who has primary custody of the child or children.  The judge will consider what is in the best interests of the child and the reason for the custodial parent’s move when making a decision on who should have primary custody.

Parents often wonder if the child’s preference of where he or she wants to live is taken into consideration.  The answer is yes and no.  Georgia Family Law provides that at the age of 14, the child has a right to choose the parent with which he or she wants to live.  The judge does not have to agree with the child, but the child’s preference may be a determining factor in the judge’s final decision regarding custody.

If you are a custodial or noncustodial parent who is faced with a relocation/modification of child custody case, you need to consult with an experienced family law attorney.  Stephanie D. Dixon at S. Dixon Law Offices, LLC may be able to help you with your case.

For Appointments Our Office Hours Are:

Monday – Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Friday:    8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Book Your Appointment

S. Dixon Law Offices - Appointment Request
  • :
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.



Contact Us

If you have a question regarding our Family Law or Estate Planning services please submit this form and we will get back with you during business hours. Please do not use this form for solicitation. Thank You, S. Dixon Law Offices