Secure Payment Link | 404.445.0028

CONTACT US TODAY AT 404.445.0028

One Alliance Center
3500 Lenox Rd NE
Suite 820
Atlanta, GA 30326

Click Here to Request an Appointment

facebook-icon  google-plus  linkedin  twitter

Child Support Modification

In an action to modify child support (either to increase or decrease), there  has to be a substantial change in the financial status or income of either the mother or father since the date of the original child support order.

Myths regarding the Child Support Modification

  1. Child support may be modified to a lower amount if a verbal agreement is made between the parties.  Child support cannot be modified by a verbal agreement between the parties. Unless the Court modifies the original order on child support, the party ordered to pay child support must pay the amount specified in the order. If he or she does not pay the amount ordered, the other party may  seek remedy under the original order to enforce payment.
  2. My minor child has been living with me for a year now so it was okay for me to stop paying child support without an order from the Court.  You should not stop paying child support until your child support obligation is terminated pursuant to an order of the Court.

Child Custody Modification 

The “best interests of the minor child” is the standard used in Georgia to determine custody.  In order to modify child custody, the party that petitions the court must be able to show that there has been a change in circumstances that would warrant a modification.

Child Support Modification - Picture shows a parent with a baby

For Appointments Our Office Hours Are:

Monday – Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Book Your Appointment

S. Dixon Law Offices - Appointment Request
  • Date Format: MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • :
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Contact Us

If you have a question regarding our Family Law or Estate Planning services please submit this form and we will get back with you during business hours. Please do not use this form for solicitation. Thank You, S. Dixon Law Offices